u:account for students
For prospective students – you would like to start your studies at the University of Vienna?
Prospective students can find all information regarding admission to studies, including activation of the u:account in U:SPACE.
What is the u:account?
After a successful admission, the u:account for students is your authorisation to access the IT services of the Vienna University Computer Center (ZID).
You can request up-to-date information about your u:account (i.e. available storage space) on the following page:
After registration, your u:account will be valid as long as you are enrolled at the University of Vienna.
If your u:account has already expired and you would like to re-activate your account because you have re-enrolled, please fill in the u:account online registration form and enter your old u:account password. If you cannot remember your password, please read “Forgot your password?”.
You can find an overview of the IT services of the Computer Center in our information brochure:
IT Services for Students
- access to U:SPACE - the portal for students of the University of Vienna
- access to e-mail services (Webmail, out-of-office reply, forwarding, spam filter and virus filter, etc.); including your own e-mail address (astudent ID firstname.lastname@example.org as well as UserID@univie.ac.at)
- web space for your personal website and filespace to store files and access them from anywhere
- access to the data stored there by means of file services from any computer
- IT courses at student prices
- IT books at student prices
- e-learning – access to Moodle, the university-wide learning platform
- use of public computer rooms of the University of Vienna (Internet access, Office programmes, printers, CD burners, etc.)
- use of the ZID’s Wi-Fi and cable-based Internet access
- VPN access to be able to use all the web services of the University of Vienna from anywhere
- HOPLA – submission of your completed master’s/diploma thesis or doctoral thesis as well as the submission of papers, etc. in electronic form
- u:book – high quality laptops at low prices
- u:print – use of the University’s printing system
- u:soft - low-cost software for students
- self-service terminals – printing stations